Skip to content

Coronavirus: extra support (Scotland)

Buy-to-let landlords

The Scottish Government has said that:

  • a landlord should not evict a tenant because they have suffered financial hardship due to COVID-19 ; and.
  • it expects landlords to be flexible with tenants who facing financial hardship and signpost them to available sources of financial support.

The Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for private landlords and letting agents has more information for landlords. It also includes useful links to the Private Rent Sector Landlord (non-business) COVID-19 Loan Scheme, which offers eligible landlords an interest-free loan to help cover lost rental income from a single property.

The Government has also introduced temporary laws that extend the notice period that you must give a tenant if you are ending a tenancy. For more information, see our Help if you rent your home section.

The FCA guidance and advice given in our Help with your mortgage section also applies to most buy-to-let mortgages. See the section for details.

Highest risk group

The government has issued extra advice for those at the highest risk from Covid-19. The website has more information about help you may be able to receive if you are at the highest risk from Covid-19.

Free school meals/vouchers

If your child is eligible for free school meals and has to be at home for reasons relating to coronavirus, the school should make sure that they provide you with food parcels. During the coronavirus pandemic the free school meals scheme may run during the school holidays as well as term time.

Speak to your child’s school to check that this is being done for you. More detail can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Food banks

If you are struggling to buy food, many food banks are staying open to support people during the coronavirus crisis. However the numbers of sessions are being reduced and you will be given or sent a pre-packed food parcel. You can find your local food bank through The Trussell Trust.

Charitable grants

Many charities offer non-repayable grants to people who are struggling financially. To see if there are any grants which may be able to help you, visit the Turn2us website​.

Council assistance support schemes

You can apply for a Crisis Gra​nt ​​through your local council. The grant can cover the cost of an emergency, such as an unexpected crisis or a gap in your normal income.