Skip to content

Coronavirus: extra support

Buy-to-let landlords

The FCA guidance and advice given in our Help with your mortgage section also applies to most buy-to-let mortgages. See the section for details.

During the pandemic, government also introduced several temporary laws that changed the notice period that you need to give a tenant if you want to end a tenancy.

  • In England, the temporary changes were in place for notices given between 26 March 2020 and 30 September 2021.
  • In Wales, the temporary changes are in place for notices given between 26 March 2020 and 31 December 2021.

For more information, see our Help if you rent your home section.

Tenants and landlords are expected to work together to agree affordable payment arrangements where possible.

The following guidance also contains useful information:

Clinically extremely vulnerable

The government has released new guidance for individuals who are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable.

In England, if you are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, extra support may be available to you. Contact your council if you need urgent help getting essential supplies and cannot rely on supermarket deliveries, family, friends or neighbours.

In Wales, the Government has also provided guidance for individuals who are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable. The guidance also has a list of organisations which may be able to help you in a variety of areas such as mental health and employment.

Free school meals/vouchers

If your child is eligible for free school meals and has to be at home for reasons relating to coronavirus, the school should make sure that they provide you with food parcels. During the coronavirus pandemic the free school meals scheme may run during the school holidays as well as term time.

Speak to your child’s school to check that this is being done for you. More detail can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Food banks

If you are struggling to buy food, many food banks are staying open to support people during the coronavirus crisis. However, the numbers of sessions are being reduced and you will be given or sent a pre-packed food parcel. You can find your local food bank through The Trussell Trust.

Charitable grants

Many charities offer non-repayable grants to people who are struggling financially. To see if there are any grants which may be able to help you, visit the Turn2us website​.

Council assistance support schemes


In October 2021, the Government launched the Household Support Fund in England. You may be able to receive a small grant to help with daily needs such as food, clothing and utilities. Contact your local council to check if you may be eligible.

Also, if you live in England, you can apply to your local welfare assistance scheme. Each council runs their own scheme. Vouchers can be given to help pay for day-to-day essentials, such as a hot meal, furniture or household appliances. Contact your local council to see if you can benefit from their scheme.


If you live in Wales, you can apply for an Emergency Assistance Payment. The payment can help cover the cost of food, clothing gas, electric and emergency travel.